2009 Kawasaki KLR™650
Smith's Cycle Center
Long Distance Minded 651cc Four-stroke Single
- Cam timing and tuning combination aid in producing a broad user-friendly powerband
- Smooth bends on the one-piece exhaust pipe permit exhaust efficiency at all rpm
- Light, silent cam chain contributes to a quieter engine
- Double engine balancer helps engine run smoothly from idle to redline for less fatigue on long rides
- New piston ring design helps prevent oil consumption
- Oillevel window permits easy and accurate inspection
Four-valve Cylinder Head
- Compact combustion chamber allows increased compression ratio with less detonation yet provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
- Boosts low-end torque and its easy breathing means power at all rpm
- Secondary air (ASV) system helps reduce harmful exhaust emissions
- Thin and lightweight Denso radiator fitted with a lightweight and thin cooling fan for maximum cooling efficiency, even when speeds are low
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
- Allows tighter engine clearances for quieter running
- Includes a temperature gauge
Fully Transistorized Ignition
- Fully transistorized ignition unit precisely controls timing no matter how fast the rpm changes
- Long, trouble-free lifespan
- Easy and convenient starting
- Convenient location makes starting and warm-up easier
- The engine's broad torque curve means only five speeds needed for off-road sprinting and relaxed highway cruising
- O-ring drive chain for reduced maintenance and long chain service life
- Beefy 41mm front fork with 7.9 inches of travel is rigid and plush enough to tackle onand off-road terrain and provide all day comfort to the rider
- High-mounted front fender for any adventure-touring situation
- Rear UNI-TRAK® suspension features a five-way preload shock absorber with four-way rebound damping and 7.3 inches of rear suspension travel
- Progressive rate provides a smooth, controlled ride
- D-section swingarm contributes to the bike's excellent traction
- 4mm spokes provide wheel stiffness, further enhancing handling performance and improving steering response
- Semi-double cradle frame made of high-tech, round-section, high-tensile steel
- Detachable rear subframe provides access to the rear shock, airbox and carburetor for easy maintenance
- Large rear cargo rack included
- Protects engine from rocks and trail debris when the going gets tough
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
- Lightweight 280mm front and 240mm rear petal discs offer excellent braking
- Dual-bulb headlamp offers great night illumination
- Rear taillight, parking light and the high-mounted turn signals improve the KLR650's visibility at night or in poor visibility conditions
Large 6.1-gallon Fuel Tank
- Generous capacity permits serious adventure touring
Additional Comfort and Touring Features
- Bodywork includes a large fairing contributes to increased wind protection
- Alternator output is 17A, with a total capacity of 36W to provide ample power for the headlight as well as add-on grip heaters and other accessories
- Easy-to-read instrument panel is mounted to the frame – contributing to lighter steering and includes a large-face speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip meter and water temperature gauge
- Urethane seat foam offers all-day comfort for long-distance riding
- Optional extended warranty
- Engine: Four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve single
- Displacement: 651cc
- Bore x stroke: 100.0 x 83.0mm
- Compression ratio: 9.8:1
- Cooling: Liquid
- Carburetion: Keihin CVK40
- Ignition: Fully transistorized
- Transmission: Five-speed
- Final drive: Chain
- Frame: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
- Rake / trail: 28 degrees / 4.4 in.
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm telescopic fork / 7.9 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® single-shock system with 5-way preload and stepless rebound damping / 7.3 in.
- Front tire: 90/90x21
- Rear tire: 130/80x17
- Front brake / rear brake: Single 280mm petal-type disc, two-piston caliper / single 240mm disc, single-piston caliper
- Overall length: 90.4 in.
- Overall width: 37.8 in.
- Overall height: 53.1 in.
- Ground clearance: 8.3 in.
- Seat height: 35.0 in.
- Curb weight: 432 lbs.
- Fuel capacity: 6.1 gal.
- Wheelbase: 58.3 in.
- Color choices: Ebony, Sunbeam Red, Oriental Blue
- Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
- Warranty: 12 Months
- Engine Type
- Four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve single
- 651 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 100.0 x 83.0 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Keihin CVK40
- Fully transistorized
- Front Suspension
- 41 mm telescopic fork; Travel: 7.9 in.
- Rear Suspension
- UNI-TRAK® single-shock system with 5-way preload and stepless rebound damping; Travel: 7.3 in.
- Front Brakes
- Single 280 mm petal-type disc, two-piston caliper
- Rear Brakes
- Single 240 mm disc, single-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 58.3 in.
- Seat Height
- 35.0 in.
- 4.4 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 6.1 gal.
- Dry Weight
- 432 lbs
- Final Drive
- Ebony, Sunbeam Red, Oriental Blue
- Standard: 12 months; Optional: Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months